CAAWS’ Women and Leadership Program consists of a series of five professional development sessions that blend theory with practical applications, and provide an opportunity for women working or volunteering in the sport or physical activity sector to share experiences, reflect on ideas and apply specific techniques. The sessions also allow for networking opportunities among participants.
In 2013/2014, the Women and Leadership Workshops were redeveloped, featuring new content relevant for today’s young professionals.
Women and Leadership Workshop Descriptions
In the workplace, effective communication is the foundation for better job performance and relationship building. During this workshop participants will:
- Consider the importance of their personal brand
- Learn about four distinct communication styles, and identify your preferred style
- Discuss electronic communication and social media etiquette, and how to avoid common pitfalls
Conflict, in its many forms, is an inevitable part of our personal and professional lives. This workshop will ensure participants can understand and resolve conflict professionally.
- Consider sources of conflict and the cost of leaving conflict unresolved
- Consider five styles for dealing with conflict, identify your preferred style, and discuss situations when each style should be employed
- Review tips for effective conflict management
Whether influencing change in your organization, across the sport and physical activity system, or more broadly in society, this workshop will provide participants with theory and practical tools for success.
- Identify elements of effective change movements
- Discuss the (under)representation of women in society
- Review tips for being heard and improving your listening skills
- Discuss approaches on how to influence others
Creating Work Life Balance
For many women, balancing the demands of work, family, friends, and personal time is a challenge. This workshop will provide participants with an opportunity to explore a variety of strategies to add more balance to their lives.
- Explore the need for balance in your life
- Examine 10 key solutions to help you find and maintain balance
- Share tips and success stories
Strong networking skills can be a valuable tool, both personally and professionally. From building organizational partnerships to knowing about upcoming events, building your network is a long-term investment with great payoffs.
- Explore the value of personal and professional networks
- Identify strategies to build and maintain your network
- Rehearse networking scenarios